Dysembryoplastic Neuroepithelial Tumor
- Benign, slow-growing neuroglial tumor
- WHO grade I
- Likely arising from germinal matrix and extending along neuronal migratory pathway to cortex
- “Specific glioneuronal element” is characteristic feature
- Bundles of axons oriented perpendicular to cortex
- Viscous cystic components filled with neuroglial material
- Commonly shows calcification
- Commonly presents in second and third decades of life
- Slight male gender predilection
- Commonly presents as drug-resistant epilepsy/partial complex seizures
- Usually sporadic; rare association with neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF-1)
- Treatment: surgical resection
- Prognosis: favorable with complete surgical resection, complete resolution of seizures after surgery is common
- Well-defined, intracortical, wedge-shaped mass; often pointed toward ventricle
- Cystic or bubbly appearance
- Temporal > frontal lobe
- May show calcification
- Associated with cortical dysplasia
- Wedge-shaped cortical and subcortical hypodense region, can mimic ischemic stroke
- ±Scalloping of inner cortex, calcification
- T1WI: lobulated, bubbly hypointense mass
- T2WI: usually hyperintense bubbly appearance
- FLAIR: variable signal, lacks adjacent edema
- T1WI+C: usually nonenhancing
- DWI: no restricted diffusion
- http://doi.org/10.1007/s00381-015-2675-9MRI with contrast
For more information, please see the corresponding chapter in Radiopaedia.
Contributor: Rachel Seltman, MD
Bilginer B, Yalnızoglu D, Soylemezoglu F, et al. Surgery for epilepsy in children with dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor: clinical spectrum, seizure outcome, neuroradiology, and pathology. Childs Nerv Syst 2009;25:485–491. doi.org/10.1007/s00381-008-0762-x.
Bulakbasi N, Kocaoglu M, Sanal TH, et al. Dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumors: proton MR spectroscopy, diffusion and perfusion characteristics. Neuroradiology 2007;49:805–812. doi.org/10.1007/s00234-007-0263-8.
Grossman RI, Yousem DM. Neuroradiology, The Requisites. Mosby, Maryland Heights, MO; 2003.
Osborn AG, Salzman KL, Jhaveri MD. Diagnostic Imaging (3rd ed). Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA; 2016.
Ranger A, Diosy D. Seizures in children with dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumors of the brain—a review of surgical outcomes across several studies. Childs Nerv Syst 2015;31:847–855. doi.org/10.1007/s00381-015-2675-9.
Please login to post a comment.