1. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Early identification of refractory epilepsy. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 314-319.
2. Kwan P, Arzimanoglou A, Berg AT, et al. Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: consensus proposal by the ad hoc Task Force of the ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies. Epilepsia 2010; 51: 1069-1077.
3. Kwon O-Y, Park S-P. Depression and anxiety in people with epilepsy. Journal of clinical neurology (Seoul, Korea) 2014; 10: 175-188.
4. Sillanpää M, Shinnar S. Long-Term Mortality in Childhood-Onset Epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2010; 363: 2522-2529.
5. Begley CE, Famulari M, Annegers JF, et al. The cost of epilepsy in the United States: an estimate from population-based clinical and survey data. Epilepsia 2000; 41: 342-351.
6. Cramer JA, Wang ZJ, Chang E, et al. Healthcare utilization and costs in adults with stable and uncontrolled epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 2014; 31: 356-362.
7. Ryvlin P, Cross JH, Rheims S. Epilepsy surgery in children and adults. Lancet Neurol 2014; 13: 1114-1126.
8. Wiebe S, Blume WT, Girvin JP, et al. A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 311-318.
9. Engel J, McDermott MP, Wiebe S, et al. Early Surgical Therapy for Drug-Resistant Temporal Lobe Epilepsy: A Randomized Trial. JAMA 2012; 307: 922-930.
10. Dwivedi R, Ramanujam B, Chandra PS, et al. Surgery for Drug-Resistant Epilepsy in Children. N Engl J Med 2017; 377: 1639-1647.
11. Liu JT, Liu B, Zhang H. Surgical versus medical treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Epilepsy Behav 2018; 82: 179-188.
12. Chen Z, Brodie MJ, Liew D, et al. Treatment Outcomes in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Epilepsy Treated With Established and New Antiepileptic Drugs: A 30-Year Longitudinal Cohort Study. JAMA Neurol 2018; 75: 279-286.
13. Spencer S, Huh L. Outcomes of epilepsy surgery in adults and children. Lancet Neurol 2008; 7: 525-537.
14. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Drug treatment of epilepsy: when does it fail and how to optimize its use? CNS Spectr 2004; 9: 110-119.
15. Engel J, Wiebe S, French J, et al. Practice parameter: Temporal lobe and localized neocortical resections for epilepsy. Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology, in Association with the American Epilepsy Society and the American Association of Neurological Surgeons 2003; 60: 538-547.
16. Miller JW, Hakimian S. Surgical treatment of epilepsy. Continuum (Minneapolis, Minn.) 2013; 19: 730-742.
17. Engel J, Jr. A Greater Role for Surgical Treatment of Epilepsy: Why and When? Epilepsy currents 2003; 3: 37-40.
18. Steinbrenner M, Kowski AB, Holtkamp M. Referral to evaluation for epilepsy surgery: Reluctance by epileptologists and patients. Epilepsia 2019; 60: 211-219.
19. Engel J, Jr., Wiebe S, Radhakrishnan K, et al. Surgical treatment for epilepsy. Neurologisch : fachmagazin fur neurologie 2013; 2013: 12-14.
20. Ryvlin P, Rheims S. Epilepsy surgery: eligibility criteria and presurgical evaluation. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2008; 10: 91-103.
21. Wiebe S, Jetté N. Issues of Medical Intractability for Surgical Candidacy. In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:789-793.
22. Rathore C, Radhakrishnan K. Concept of epilepsy surgery and presurgical evaluation. Epileptic Disord 2015; 17: 19-31; quiz 31.
23. Englot DJ, Chang EF. Rates and predictors of seizure freedom in resective epilepsy surgery: an update. Neurosurg Rev 2014; 37: 389-404; discussion 404-385.
24. Thom M. Review: Hippocampal sclerosis in epilepsy: a neuropathology review. Neuropathology and applied neurobiology 2014; 40: 520-543.
25. Englot DJ, Lee AT, Tsai C, et al. Seizure Types and Frequency in Patients Who “Fail” Temporal Lobectomy for Intractable Epilepsy. Neurosurgery 2013; 73: 838-844.
26. Engel J. Overview of Surgical Treatment for Epilepsy. In Shorvon S, Perucca E, Engel J (Eds) The Treatment of Epilepsy, Wiley-Blackwell: Hoboken, New Jersey; 2015:709-722.
27. Luders HO, Najm I, Nair D, et al. The epileptogenic zone: general principles. Epileptic Disord 2006; 8 Suppl 2: S1-9.
28. Britton JM. Video-EEG Monitoring in the Presurgical Evaluation. In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:810-823.
29. Moosa ANV, Ruggieri PM. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Evaluation for Epilepsy Surgery. In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:794-809.
30. Miserocchi A, Nowell M, McEvoy AW. Neuroradiologic Evaluation for Epilepsy Surgery: Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Winn HR (Ed) Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery, Elsevier, Inc.: Philadelphia, PA; 2017:420-432.
31. Tonini C, Beghi E, Berg AT, et al. Predictors of epilepsy surgery outcome: a meta-analysis. Epilepsy Res 2004; 62: 75-87.
32. Kuzniecky R, Burgard S, Faught E, et al. Predictive value of magnetic resonance imaging in temporal lobe epilepsy surgery. Arch Neurol 1993; 50: 65-69.
33. Chapman K, Wyllie E, Najm I, et al. Seizure outcome after epilepsy surgery in patients with normal preoperative MRI. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005; 76: 710-713.
34. Gaillard WD. Nuclear Imaging (PET, SPECT). In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:824-832.
35. Ho SS, Berkovic SF, Berlangieri SU, et al. Comparison of ictal SPECT and interictal PET in the presurgical evaluation of temporal lobe epilepsy. Ann Neurol 1995; 37: 738-745.
36. Binder JR, Carlson C. Language and Memory Mapping. In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:865-874.
37. Janecek JK, Swanson SJ, Sabsevitz DS, et al. Language lateralization by fMRI and Wada testing in 229 patients with epilepsy: rates and predictors of discordance. Epilepsia 2013; 54: 314-322.
38. Janecek JK, Swanson SJ, Sabsevitz DS, et al. Naming outcome prediction in patients with discordant Wada and fMRI language lateralization. Epilepsy Behav 2013; 27: 399-403.
39. Sabsevitz DS, Swanson SJ, Hammeke TA, et al. Use of preoperative functional neuroimaging to predict language deficits from epilepsy surgery. Neurology 2003; 60: 1788-1792.
40. Szaflarski JP, Gloss D, Binder JR, et al. Practice guideline summary: Use of fMRI in the presurgical evaluation of patients with epilepsy: Report of the Guideline Development, Dissemination, and Implementation Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2017; 88: 395-402.
41. Burgess RC, Mosher JC. Magnetoencephalography. In Wyllie E, Gidal BE, Goodkin HP, et al. (Eds) Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, PA; 2015:833-847.
42. Feldman L, Kotagal P. Patient management conference: Correlating pre-surgical data. Seizure 2019.
43. Kovac S, Vakharia VN, Scott C, et al. Invasive epilepsy surgery evaluation. Seizure 2017; 44: 125-136.